Top Reasons People Think About Having Their Carpet Cleaned
- Company is coming over – tomorrow
- The kids invited friends over to play in the house, LOTS of them
- The dog decided that the living room was preferable to the yard
- The carpet looks like you drew a racecourse through it.
- It’s spring – you clean everything
- The holidays are coming/over, schools starting, etc
- The pale blue carpet looks like it is patterned with brown and black spots
- The kids won’t lay on the floor because it smells funny
- Your company is throwing a party – at your house
- Your husband was working on the car, and didn’t wipe his feet
The MOST Important Reason to have your carpets professionally cleaned
Your family’s health. Professional hot water extraction, or steam cleaning, will remove the obvious dirt and spots from your carpet, but it will also remove the hidden dirt and debris. Carpet is actually proven to be the better choice for allergy and asthma sufferers, as long as it is properly maintained.
Your carpet acts like a filter, similar to an air conditioning filter. The carpet collects all the dirt, dust and soil that is tracked into your home, and holds it. Carpeting is specifically designed to hide soiling. A piece of carpeting 4 inches by 2 inches, about the size of a playing card, can hold one pound of dirt. Because carpet offers this property, it helps make the indoor air quality better. So what’s the big deal with dirt in the carpet? For most homeowners, it’s the appearance but there are many other reasons why clean carpet is important to your health.
Did you know that the “dirt” in your carpet is actually composed of:
- Epidermal waste (dead skin cells)
- Food Particles
- Oil and grease deposits
- Allergens (dust mites)
- Volatile organic compounds
- Combustion products
Carpet filters these products, and holds them until they are removed. Vacuuming will remove some of these contaminants, so proper vacuuming using a high powered, well maintained vacuum on a regular basis is extremely important. Professional cleaning of the carpets a minimum of once per year is also important in removing these contaminants and creating a healthier home environment.
There are many different carpet cleaning methods out there, but the only one endorsed and recommended by the two biggest residential carpet manufacturers, Shaw and Mohawk, and required in their warranty program, is truck mounted hot water extraction performed by an IICRC Certified Technician. This is because of third party testing performed by the carpet mills to determine which methods performed best in not only making the carpet appear clean, but in actually removing the dirt and soil, which is what causes carpets to wear faster. Other methods, such as dry cleaning methods or those that are “oxy” or oxygen based, either leave residues which cause additional wear, or they use brushes which can cause fuzzing of the carpet fibers.